Wednesday, February 8, 2012

A Moveable Feast



  I fell in love with Paris a long time ago.  I'm not sure exactly when this happened but rainy Sunday afternoon Hollywood movies like Sabrina (Audrey Hepburn) certainly added fuel to the fire.  




As I grew older I started watching French films, Un homme et une femme (with a beautiful soundtrack by Francis Lai) is one of my favourites.  



Then I read this book:



A Moveable Feast is Hemingway's portrayal of himself as a young writer in Paris in the 1920's.  I was 20 years old when I first read this book.  I remember being totally captivated with Hemingway's writing, his descriptions of the cafes and parks brought them to life, I could see, taste and smell Paris.  As I turned the last page I promised myself that one day I would go there and sit in Les Deux Magots (a cafe in Saint Germain where Hemingway frequented) and sip a coffee...

Five years later, I moved to Paris and lived in an apartment with a view of the Eiffel Tower.  Funny how life works out.  Sometimes dreams do come true...

After four years in Paris, we missed home and moved back to Ireland and bought our house in the country.  I love where I live but can't help myself surrounding myself with reminders of that beautiful city, I have such warm memories of the time we spent there.

'If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you, for Paris is a Moveable Feast'
ERNEST HEMINGWAY

2 comments:

Cindy@ French Grey said...

How exciting to live in Paris! It is on my list to visit. Just watched "Midnight in Paris" with Owen Wilson and Hemingway makes an appearance, you mind find it amusing.....
Great post!

Cindy

LA VIE EN ROSE said...

Hey Cindy, yeah, it was exciting - Good Times! I haven't seen Midnight in Paris yet but I must, looks good!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...